Monday, November 16, 2020

Word for the Day - 2020

 Pause

from the Webster dictionary:

to stop temporarily, to linger for a time
 
I am thinking about "pause" a lot these days
as we are experiencing higher numbers of COVID cases
around the country.
Many of these pictures I have probably shared before,
but for me a walk in nature or sitting in my own backyard is a "pause" in my day.
Sipping a cup of tea is a "pause".
Sometimes just sitting by the river with a friend in the early morning hour
is a gift of a "pause" in my day or week, though for now this will wait.
A walk on the beach allows me to breathe again, a time to dream,
or a time to let my mind clear.
I have struggled about "pausing" Thanksgiving this year because of the COVID.
It saddens me to do, as I am sure you must be struggling with that sadness too.
What do you plan to do with your day? How do you plan to celebrate safely?
 
In my household there are three of us, but usually our daughter, grandson, and our
daughter's ex-husband would be here.
This year the three of us will enjoy the moments of preparing our regular
Thanksgiving meal, but then package it up and deliver it to two homes.
We will set it at the door, step back, give a smile to the recipients and a hello, then 
come home to eat our meal. It won't be the same, but this is what we feel will work 
for us in a safe manner for all. This just feels like the right thing for us to do,
so I am at peace with that.
 
Sometimes it just takes a "pause" to come to a clear decision about what feels right.
 

7 comments:

Red Rose Alley said...

Marilyn, you always choose the best words for your posts. What you're doing for Thanksgiving sounds wonderful. Do you know the people that you are leaving the Thanksgiving meal with? I plan on being with my family this Thanksgiving, and they all work from home, so they're not around any people either. Jess is making the meal, so it should be very nice. I always delight in your photos, Marilyn, especially that blue tea cup. And your set table overlooking the water really should be in a magazine. I will PAUSE and listen more to the whispers of my heart. Thank you.

~Sheri

Tracy said...

This was lovely, Marilyn! I find myself pausing a LOT... This time, this year, seems to naturally invite introspection. There feels like sooo much to think about all the time, sometimes I find it overwhelming. So cups of tea throughout the day are my best pause times! ;) Your plans for Thanksgiving sound very sweet--as best they can be this year. We're usually just us two for Thanksgiving and used to that. But we're planning on maybe just us two for Christmas as well. We're not in lockdown yet, like may other places in Europe, but the restrictions are more and who knows... One day at a time! ((LOVE & HUGS))

Jeanie said...

I love that you are doing your meal and sharing it. That is really lovely. It will just be the two of us for Thanksgiving. Often we spend it with out friends, sometimes at my house, sometimes at theirs. I'm not too upset about TG. Christmas will be much harder.We usually have several -- one with the kids, two with friends.

Our TG will be, then, just us -- probably turkey breast, not turkey; stuffing and cranberries and Rick will want potatoes. (We go off the grid for Christmas!) Pretty traditional. I will probably take down the less "obvious" fall decs in the morning and get Christmas handy for decorating the day after. I feel like this whole year is "on pause." It's a great word.
,

Thelma said...

I agree we are all on pause. Christmas is cancelled this year
I will miss it.
Stay safe.
Thelma

Mary said...

What a generous way to share what will be a very different Thanksgiving for most this year.
We were booked to go to AZ to Bob's older brother's home for Thanksgiving, however with the rising COVID numbers both in AZ and here in NC, we have cancelled our trip. Just too risky with flights, airports, hotel stays etc.
We'll be distanced in our daughter's garden if not too cold - or we'll
be here enjoying our veggie meal with a nice slice of pie!!!!

Linda P said...

It's good to find ways to pause, reflect and give thanks. However, there is sadness in having to do things differently for a Thanksgiving meal. I'm glad you have found a solution so that you can share with your loved ones. I feel as if we have been on one long pause ever since our first national lockdown with little opportunity to go far beyond our neighbourhood or spend time with family. During this second national lockdown we live from day to day and expect Christmas to be very different with no gathering of daughters, son and their families this year.

mamasmercantile said...

I am thrilled you were able to find a solution that suits you and your needs. Your thanksgiving celebration sounds lovely and a great way to stay safe.