Monday, November 30, 2020

Word for the Day - 2020

 Cradle

Reading Simple Abundance by Sarah Ban Breathnach this year I read "cradle yourself gently with kindness and compassion." The word "cradle" just jumped out and grabbed me. The image of a cradle, being swaddled in a cozy blanket and tucked in the cradle to rest is just sometimes needed. When we are down or not feeling well, what do we do, particularly as women with many obligations? We tend to push ourselves to keep moving. We don't cradle ourselves in loving tenderness. 

Usually cradle is connected to a baby. How do we treat a newborn baby? With gentleness, comfort, and love? Yes! Why don't we treat ourselves like that? I know I don't often do that.

 
 
Top picture taken of my one and only grandson, October 2012. He is in the doll cradle, which he just fit. The bottom picture is the crib my children used and I prepared it for my grandson when he came for visits. Under the crib you will see the doll cradle and a basket. When my daughter was a newborn I would tuck her in the basket to sleep. Such dear memories. 

From the dictionary: a verb, hold gently and protectively.
 
Allow yourself to be held gently, to be cradled in love of self and by others.
I know this is a hard one for me, but I am trying.
Sending love on this the last day of November.


3 comments:

Red Rose Alley said...

Your words are so special here, Marilyn...and true. We don't cradle ourselves enough and show tenderness and comfort, do we? Your crib that your children used is a treasure. It looks like a small vintage one. And your grandson looks precious in the doll cradle. Fits him just right.

Thanks for this word tonight, Marilyn, and I will try to cradle myself more often. : )

~Sheri

Jeanie said...

I love this, Marilyn. It's a word I need to remember, live with.

Michele M./ Finch Rest said...

What a sweet grandson. Oh, don't they grow entirely too fast?

I saw your sweet comment on Tea With Friends (Angela M blog) and thought I'd pop in and say hello. I am also your new follower. You, too, fell off my radar. And back a long while ago a bunch of my followed blogs fell off my follow reading list. Ugh. And I do take long breaks when life gets crazy or if I am unable to muster up the energy. Sad, but truth.

I am in blog mode lately though! : - )

Have a wonderful December!

~Michele from The Nest at Finch Rest