Friday, July 15, 2022

A Book Review

 

Picture taken at Lan Su Chinese Gardens, just because I don't have pictures representing the settings in the books.

I always love other blogs that review books, but I don't usually stop to share books I have been reading recently. Here are two that would indeed delight, at least they delighted me. 

Another picture of tea time at Lan Su Chinese Gardens.

Roselle Lim: Vanessa Yu’s Magical Paris Tea Shop and Natalie Tan’s Book of Luck & Fortune

 I picked up the first book just because of course you would know, the name captured my heart. Paris Tea Shop! I thought it would be a good summer read. Yes, there was a lot of tea drinking in both books and food too, but the relationships and women struggling to succeed touched my heart. They brought memories of the struggles to survive growing up with a single mother. The second book took place in San Francisco's Chinatown, which is dear to my heart. When I celebrated my thirteenth birthday my grandmother invited me and one of my friends to come for a weekend in San Francisco. The birthday dinner took place in this very Chinatown. It was such a highlight and still a vivid memory.
 
Quote from Natalie Tan's Book of Luck & Fortune, "The universe unfurled in such unpredictable ways. We all moved in a constant celestial dance. The song ends and the music and our partner may change, but in order to survive we must continue dancing. I would prevail, and I would succeed."  I actually would suggest starting with this book, as it is the first one Roselle wrote. I started with the second one first, which was OK too.
 
The images Roselle Lim creates with her words are enchanting and a bit magical too. 
I loved these two books so much I kept wishing there were more; so I visited Amazon one more time just to check. Sure enough, there is a new one coming in mid-August. Of course I pre-ordered it. After all, these are my summer reads and I always need a bit of magic and enchantment. 
 
Whatever you are reading this summer I hope it delights you.
Happy Summer reading!

3 comments:

Linda P said...

Thank you for the book review which gives a sense of how enjoyable the story must be to read. Unfortunately I've tried looking on line, but this author cannot be found in our city libraries as yet. Your photos to go with this review are perfect. Enjoy your Summer reading Marilyn.

Jeanie said...

I love the quote you pulled from the book. Yes, we must continue dancing. These sound like lovely books, both ofthem.

Mary said...

These sound like great books and I must add to my list - which is so long - and I every now and again I 'treat myself' to a few.
Happy tea times dear - I know you are an expert!