Friday, March 10, 2023

Birds of Winter

 
The Tundra Swans winter here in the northwest and we love seeing them.
I think they must go further north in the spring and summer.
They seem to often be in pairs.

Sometime during the winter we drive through the Ridgefield Nature Preserve in Ridgefield, Washington. It is about a 45 minute drive north of Portland, Oregon. We discovered it during the worst of the pandemic and love going there for an outing because everyone stays in their cars and watches with binoculars and cameras in hand. This is now our annual winter adventure with D and his mom. We all thoroughly enjoy seeing the birds and spotting deer and other critters.


A hawk ruffling it's feathers right above our car.


I could say swans a'swimming, but it looks more like swans a'standing.


Signs of a beaver visiting the area.


Beaver and muskrat love the small river and trees.


Not a bird! It's a beaver.


Tundra Swans in flight.


American Bittern

We had never seen this bird before; so we were all excited to see him so near the car.


Tundra Swan in flight.


Mr. Mallard and his partner.

They were swimming away from their nest; so we wouldn't see it. We did see the hole in the grass, but not little ones.


Yep, more Tundra Swans in flight


 

American Coots

 

 

Red Wing Black birds

These birds seem to be at the feeder year round. It was fun to see them flutter by. 

It was raining outdoors, but we didn't care. We were tucked in the car, sometimes with the window down. A little rain wasn't going to hurt us.

Do you have traditional adventures for different seasons?

I love creating them with our D.

I think he likes it too.

Have a terrific weekend, dear friends.

3 comments:

Jeanie said...

I can see why that would have been a pandemic haven. I'm so glad you were able to do this with D. Makes me smile.

Red Rose Alley said...

I loved seeing your bird post this morning, Marilyn, as I love all things nature. The Swan photos in flight are so pretty. What a nice day you spent with your daughter here at the nature preserve. Yes, I do have a traditional place to go for all the seasons. It's the creek nearby, and often times I see deer and squirrels and orange Poppies, our Calif. flower. That is a neat picture of the red wing blackbirds around the feeder. They are such pretty birds. So glad you got to enjoy this day, even with the rain. I don't think I've ever seen a Swan in flight, very nice.

~Sheri

Rosemary said...

What an amazing collection of winter birds! I love your Tundra Swans - we do not have them here, although we have Canadian Geese, and they have the same silhouette. I'm so glad you discovered the Nature Preserve at a time when you needed it - and so glad that you share your visits here. What peaceful tranquility for you, and safe haven for our feathered friends.