Monday, March 27, 2023

Word Magic

 The word this week is Expect or Expecting.

The definition of Expecting is:

 ex·pect

verb
present participle: expecting, regard (something) as likely to happen.
 "we expect the best",
anticipate, await, look for, hope for, watch for, look forward to, look ahead to, predict, plan for, be prepared for, envision, regard (someone) as likely to do or be something.
"they were not expecting him to continue"
 

Orchids are blooming in my home right now. If you look closely you can see more buds. I am "expecting" more flowers soon.

If you look above the mantle you will see an empty picture frame. For many years I had that antique frame in storage because I loved it, but never found the right picture to place in it. Finally I hung it without a picture. I don't expect I will ever put a picture in the frame, but for me I just enjoy the flowers outside the box (frame). When friends visit they expect to see something in the frame and I most often receive curious looks.

This is my witch hazel. It is just beginning to bud and I expect it to be quite beautiful soon.

In the fall my tea plants bloom. Very soon with spring popping in to say hello I expect new growth and thus I will once again process a very tiny batch of tea.
 
I am cleaning old journals today as I continue the process of downsizing. One journal I had forgotten I had started over 10 years ago was writing to my grandson that was due to be born. My family and myself didn't know at first if this child, which was much desired, would be a boy or a girl. We each had our own expectations, but it was my daughter and her partner that was actually "expecting" this baby. Did we have expectations for this child? Certainly! But we soon learned that this child was his own little person and we must let go of some expectations and just enjoy the adventure. To tell you the truth I still expect that hug each time I greet him or say goodbye. He is much loved.
Not the greatest picture, but he is sitting on my lawn expecting a picture to be taken and expecting the flowers to open for him.
 

 The word today was found in an old journal. What I wrote: "Expecting to me means anticipation, looking forward to the ordinary things of life that can excite and surprise me. I can expect great things in each moment and day when I pay attention and am open to each little thing."
 
This goes along with "notice what you notice".
Expect great things this week and notice each and every little thing.


1 comment:

Jeanie said...

This is a great word of the week and I loved all your examples. I think I'm expecting a nice week. At least one hopes so!