Monday, May 15, 2023

Word Magic

 The word for this week is quaintrelle.

"A quaintrelle is a woman who emphasizes a life of passion expressed through personal style, leisurely pastimes, charm, and cultivation of life's pleasures."

This is a new word for me, but I love the concept. It is something I think we all work to develop in ourselves, passion for life. 

My daughter on mother's day with her son amazes me with her passion for life and for the grace in which she moves forward.

My mother in a very different way moved forward with her passion for life.



 Both women had obstacles to overcome, but moved forward with a smile on their face.

My daughter has MS and still manages to be a special mom, work as a masseuse, keep her home moving along, and attend school full time. This week she is being honored at Portland State College with Phi Kappa Phi honor given to top students and has been offered a summer job on campus to work with students that have disabilities. I am so proud of her. She loves music and walking her dog in nature.

My mom, as she was growing up, was called "the stupid one" by her family. So sad for her. But she went on to raise two daughters on her own when her husband deserted her and I don't think she did half bad. She learned to drive when I was 16 years old and absolutely loved driving around the country. Her friendships and belief in God was so endearing. Oh and she loved to laugh and tease with a twinkle in her eyes. And she loved poetry too.

This post is to honor the closest women in my life at Mother's Day time. Both are loved and so much respect goes out from my heart for these women. I love the passion they portrayed to me each and every day.

 What passions have you seen in the women most close to you?

4 comments:

Jeanie said...

I want to be a quaintrelle -- what a great word.

And I loved this tribute to your daughter and your mother. Both are so beautiful and they are living their lives in the way life is meant to be lived -- to the fullest and doing it their way. It is a treasure. As are they.

Mary said...

Beautiful post Marilyn - happy memories of your pretty mother, and now making new memories with your amazing daughter (congratulate her from us) are, and always will be a great joy to you I'm sure.
Heading west tomorrow - please get the temps. to lower a bit for us - hot here but Northern CA, like OR, appear much hotter still.

Yes, that's a lovely new word - must remember this one.
Mary X

Linda P said...

A lovely post Marilyn. Thank you for sharing.

Red Rose Alley said...

This was a heartwarming Mother's Day post, Marilyn. I'm sorry your daughter has MS. My cousin had that as well. This is a sweet picture of her and her son. That's great that she got a Summer job working with students. I love this photo of your mom, she was beautiful. Your mom raised a wonderful daughter, by the way. : )

And I really like this word you shared today.

~Sheri