Friday, March 26, 2021

Trees make a Difference!

Most of you have realized that I love nature.

What I am learning about myself is that I am still learning and concerned for our world.

Recently I just started paying more attention to the importance of trees and how they effect our climate.

 I read just this morning that with the more trees we plant in cities the temperature can be lowered up to 10 degrees. Wow! That is amazing! Urban Forestry is a thing, a term I hadn't heard or listened to. I have felt so strongly on the importance of trees to our climate that I have started donating each month to two organizations that plant trees both locally and throughout the world.

As I write I remember my childhood being framed by trees. I climbed trees and terrified my neighbors. I walked under trees and picked their fruit. I hugged trees and ran my hands over their different barks.

But still, I took them for granted, I just expected them to always be there. I didn't realize their importance for the air we breathe and the temperature surrounding us.

This is my bandwagon today! Let's just stop to notice what we notice and take small steps to make a difference whether it is planting a tree, donating, or just admiring and appreciating what is in our own backyard.

     "Save the World, Plant a Tree, Be Part of the Solution."         American Forests 

All pictures, but the last two were taken on a recent drive to the Pacific Ocean for the day. I am trying to notice the trees and pay attention to their importance for all of us. 

Just two blocks from my house, down the middle of the street, is an arboretum of trees.

Neighbors have planted flowers surrounding the trees and it is quite beautiful today. I walked there just to snap pictures for you this morning. The cherry blossoms are out there too.


Let's all be tree huggers! 

Happy weekend, dear friends!

6 comments:

Lorrie said...

I, too, love trees. Our town will plant a tree on each property, if desired, and there is a selection to choose from. We have a maple tree on ours, planted 7 or 8 years ago and growing well. There is a campaign going on just now to prevent any more old growth forest being logged off - it's so important to preserve those ancient habitats. Lovely photos, Marilyn.

Anonymous said...

I enjoyed your post very much...I am a fellow tree hugger and have been for a very long time.
I sense we have a lot in common! Susan

mamasmercantile said...

Beautiful photos, the flowers surrounding the trees in the last couple are a delight. I knew the importance of trees but hadn't quite taken on board that they effected the temperature.

susan hemann said...

I've been a tree hugger all my life. As a child- a tree climber
my children used to call me a tree hugger
I live in a single/condo home now and when they tagged trees to be cut down, I went around the neighborhood taking down the tags
and member of the Audobon society

trees are my great love

Red Rose Alley said...

Living in the mountains, I am surrounded by trees! The woods are right by my house, and they are filled with trees. I think that's what's so beautiful to me is the nature around me. The row of trees with the flowers planted are really pretty. And the cherry blossoms always make my heart sing. Yes, let's hug a tree!

Have a sweet day, Marilyn.

~Sheri

Jeanie said...

Trees are essential to the ecosystem. I think we will be planting more red twig dogwoods at the cottage this summer. We were going to last year but didn't feel comfortable going to the nursery. These photos are lovely, all of them.