Monday, March 29, 2021

Word for the Week

 Yesterday I attended on zoom a forum discussion Celebrating Wisdom of Women. I wasn't quite sure where that discussion would go, but following along with a group of younger women of color intrigued me enough to want to listen and learn. 

Could it open new doors for me, reach out and grab me, or teach me something new?

Where the discussion ended up going was finding our "a-ha" moments or our passion. Passion and a-ha moments go together. They talked about what brings them alive, how they find who they are, and how they choose to spend their time. For these women music seemed to be a component that brought passion to them. They didn't want to be identified by what their careers were, but by what their passions were (their a-ha moments) and by what brought them to their place of home.

That word "a-ha" just stuck with me and I had to think back through my life to remember those moments when I knew and said in my heart a big "a-ha". So the word today is "a-ha". 

Is it a word in the dictionary?  Yep!

exclamation
exclamation: a-ha 
used to express satisfaction, triumph, or surprise.
 
A place in time, sipping tea in France.
 
One of my stories of an a-ha moment was when I decided to move from one career to another. I had a little push from a boss I had at the time, which then encouraged me to make a list of those things I loved in life. In journal writing and self reflection I realized tea had always been entwined throughout my life, but I had never thought of it other then having a quick cup in the morning. That a-ha moment came when I realized it could be so much more. Once I realized that, it has become one of my passions and ties so much together. It encourages me to learn more, it connects me with people, and it has given me adventures I would have never imagined. Even the forum I watched on Sunday wouldn't have happened for me if it wasn't for my connection to tea.
 

Just a side note and one I knew, but still touched my heart once again. In watching and listening to these wise young women brought home to me that we are all the same. It doesn't matter the color of our skin, who raised us, what circumstance we live in - we are all the same. For that I am thankful to have been surrounded by these beautiful, strong, wise women for this moment in time.

Can you remember a a-ha moment in your life?
Did it make a difference in the direction you went?

3 comments:

Jeanie said...

What a wonderful post and terrific experience for you. We should all have such an experience. I will have to think about my a-ha moments. I know I've had one or more but I'll be darned if I can remember what they are off the cuff!

Red Rose Alley said...

Didn't know that was a word, but I like it. Oh, that little area in France is so charming. I can just see someone sipping tea there. The Wisdom of Women Zoom meeting sounds really nice. We all learn from each other, don't we? I think I learn something new each and every time I visit your blog, Marilyn. Thank you.

~Sheri

ps.....love that door knob photo. : )

Lorrie said...

How fun that a-ha is a word! We certainly use it as one. I enjoyed reading about one of your a-ha moments. And yes, we are all the same. I remember sitting in a clinic waiting room with my baby many years ago, in the Ecuadorian jungle. Across from me a young indigenous woman sat with her baby. She cradled its head in her hand just as I cradled mine. We both loved and cared for our babies in so many of the same ways although we were separated by language, culture, and so much more. It was an a-ha moment for me.