Monday, February 21, 2022

A Gift for You - A Flower and a Poem

 

Do you sometimes wake up and just know there is something you must do? With spring just around the corner this dish had been calling me to tuck some spring flowers into it. So off to the garden center for a few wee plants and then a marble egg had to sit right there to complete the picture. Flowers are coming in the garden and this morning, quite early I must add, I was out there discovering what was new in the garden.

I adore Mary Oliver's poems, 

so today I am sharing "Why I Wake Early"

 

Hello, sun in my face.

Hello, you who make the morning

and spread it over the fields

and into the faces of the tulips

and the nodding morning glories,

and into the windows of, even, the 

miserable and the crotchety-

best preacher that ever was,

dear star, that just happens

to be where you are in the universe

to keep us from ever-darkness,

to ease us with warm touching,

to hold us in the great hands of light-

good morning, good morning, good morning.

Watch, now, how I start the day

in happiness, in kindness.

Have a great week, dear ones!
May it be full of happiness and kindness.

7 comments:

Terra said...

Mary Oliver is a gifted poet and dear to me. I like your new spring flowers.

Red Rose Alley said...

Marilyn, your poems get to me every time. I really liked this one. How sweet are those little flowers planted in your treasured dish. And the marble egg adds a special touch as well. I also noticed the pink dish next to it. It looks very old and beautiful. Thank you for the poem and flowers today, Marilyn. They made my day.

Have a good week.

~Sheri

*your poem caught my eye right away, as I've always been an early riser. : )

Lorrie said...

I'm not an early riser, but once in awhile, when I do get out of bed early, a fresh morning in the garden is a delightful thing. Love your spring arrangement, and the poem.

Laura Morrigan said...

Now I really want to find some lovely old crockery and grow flowers in it!

I love Mary Oliver, might have to get a collection so I can flip through it when I am sad.

Sandi Magle said...

Goodness, we have at least 8-12 weeks more of misery/winter...with late Springs. But, the grocery store did have those sweet mini daffys the other day, and I was tempted, but that would mean I would have to take down the lights/pine in the kitchen---which we really need on dreary(mostly everyday) days. Hugs, cute post! Sandi

Jeanie said...

What a beautiful bowl for flowers. The early spring blooms look perfect there. I'm getting a yen to find a good bulb garden! The small one I bought at Trader Joe's several weeks ago has past its peak and awaiting for better days to be planted into the garden! You did a lovely job on arranging!

Linda P said...

We don't get up too early, but I open the curtains and look out as I'm ready for a new day to begin. Your arrangement of plants in a special bowl looks so fresh and pretty. I love a display of miniature flowering plants whether in a planter or in a garden, perhaps in a rockery. I like the addition of the marble egg - a lovely idea.