Friday, February 25, 2022

Whimsy, a Word Today

 

whim·sy     
noun: whimsy; noun: whimsey
playfully quaint or fanciful behavior or humor.

If you haven't guessed by now, I like having a bit of whimsy in my life. A bit of silliness, the spirit of a child. There are two places in my house where whimsy prevails. One shelf in my office/studio, which I call my Shelf of Whimsy, and this antique doll cradle filled with small animals and Raggedy. My grandson calls them "stuffys".

Just for fun today I decided they needed their own photo shoot; so out they came. Some waited patiently and others had to jump right into the middle of things.

That one rabbit with the soft green bow seems to show up quite a bit.  He was a rather pushy, not timid at all.




There he is again.

The little guy wasn't that thrilled about the whole thing, but I captured him in my camera anyway.


When I worked Raggedy would sit on my desk and observe. She doesn't say much, but I think she takes it all in and has learn many things over the years.

Now there he is again. He was dreaming of adventure and wanted to pose by this outdoor shot.

This little bear was getting ready to leave for school; so stopped for one quick shot and he was off.

And the green bow bunny invited another bunny for tea.

This bunny said he would pose for only one picture because really it wasn't his season. He would much have preferred a long winters nap.

Early in the pandemic I found this tiny kit on Amazon. Rather than doing a puzzle I decided to do this kit. The pieces were so tiny my fingers had a hard time putting it together, but it is on my Shelf of Whimsy now and my grandson likes it the best. He wants to do one together with me. The kit says 14 years or older; so I may wait awhile. But then on the other hand I think we would have great fun making it together.
Do you add a little whimsy in your life from time to time?
I haven't said this for awhile, but I would encourage you to add whimsy, dance, put on that tutu, and sing to your hearts content. There are days we need a bit of whimsy surrounding us and this week is definitely one them.
 
Happy weekend, dear friends!

8 comments:

Red Rose Alley said...

Marilyn, I love your things of whimsy. Yes, I do add whimsy in my house, and most of it is in holiday decor and on my blue cabinet with dolls, books, and stuffed animals. Your raggedy doll brought back so many memories. That was Nel's favorite doll for a long time. Your doll cradle looks old and charming, I love that. And your special stuffed animals sit in there. Your school bear is so cute. I would put him out every Fall when school is about to start. Thanks for showing us all your things of whimsy, Marilyn. I enjoyed it so.

~Sheri

Lorrie said...

What fun to see your whimsical toys and things. I love a bit of whimsy myself, although I think I need to cultivate it a bit more.

mamasmercantile said...

Such fun, you are so right everyone should have a little whimsy in their life.

Changes in the wind said...

My favorite is the bear with the homemade sweater.

Sandi Magle said...

What a sweet post---and yes, I have a LOT of whimsy in my house. The dolls take up 1/2 the basement, and stuffys and bits are here and there all over the house. I've always loved miniatures, and they are easy to sneak in anywhere! Even my gardens have spots for fairies and little gnomes! Life should have a bit of 'magic' in it!

Jeanie said...

I love your whimsy and I'm so glad you brought out the gang for a photo shoot! They are all adorable!

Linda P said...

Your stuffys are adorable. I like the two bunnies having a tea party. Your grandson must have a fun time with you when he comes to visit you.

Laura Morrigan said...

Whimsy is definitely one of my current favourite words! and I do enjoy a good helping! I have been making little Steampunk outfits for some of my mini toys, currently, the pictures are on my instagram, may do a post on my blog at some point: https://www.instagram.com/crowfaerylaura/