Saturday, April 23, 2022

Earth Day should be Earth Every Day

 

 

I don't know about you, but I keep lists. One of my list is things I want to do with my one and only grandchild. About 3 years ago Catharine Creek on the other side of the Columbia River in Washington State went on my list. I had heard that in the spring there were many wildflowers. You know I love flowers!

 

Finally yesterday, Earth Day, we made it on this adventure. It was a perfectly gorgeous day, just right for a hike. Can you see the river below?

We were greeted by this hill and though you can't see it in the picture, it was covered with tiny flowers.

 

Can you spot the little woodpecker on the snag? I was quite a distance, but I had to try to capture him.




A gurgling stream enchants me. If there had been a bench right here I would have sat for awhile.

One of my favorite wildflowers, the Camas Lily.


A Bird, came down the Walk

A Bird, came down the Walk - 
He did not know I saw -
He bit an Angle Worm in halves
And ate the fellow, raw, 
 
And then, he drank a Dew
From a convenient Grass -
And then hopped sidewise to the Wall
To let a Beetle pass -
 
He glanced with rapid eyes,
That hurried all abroad -
They looked like frightened Beads, I thought,
He stirred his Velvet Head. - 
 
Like one in danger, Cautious,
I offered him a Crumb,
And he unrolled his feathers, 
And rowed him softer Home -
 
Than Oars divide the Ocean,
Too silver for a seam,
Or Butterflies, off Banks of Noon,
Leap, plashless as they swim.
 
 
For me to spot some butterflies just made my day!
 
Leaving the creek area, along the road a waterfall was spotted.
In my family we have a joke, "it is a Stella picture". 
Now Stella was my mother-in-law and most of her pictures were snapped from a moving car and blurry.
Well from being snapped from a moving car I don't think it was too bad. Ha!

For me, this was the perfect way to celebrate our earth.
Now this is something we should celebrate and cherish every day of the year. Our earth is precious and worth caring for.
 
Happy Earth Day and Earth Year!
Hoping your weekend includes a visit to enjoy our earth outdoors.

4 comments:

Sandi Magle said...

Thanks so much for sharing your lovely photos! The upper midwest has been locked in freezing temps and we had snow 4 times in the last two weeks, but your post gives me hope, yesterday was 80 and today it's crappy again! I would love to see all of that nature, even from a moving car! Sandi

Jeanie said...

You are absolutely right, Marilyn! Your words and the photos are just beautiful. We are seesawing --80s over the weekend, 30s predicted for later in the week. Well, at least we had 80s and sun. Yes, something is a bit off in the world. We can only hope.

Judy from Sato said...

Loved your Stella picture ! ! ! :)

Laura Morrigan said...

I love wildflowers too! Especially tiny ones! What a beautiful wild spot!