Friday, April 15, 2022

It's Apple Blossom Time

 

If you have been following me for awhile you will know that a little historic apple orchard calls to me every spring and I must go! I go for the blossoms, blushed with pink. And I go for the peace and quiet of just walking there. It seems that very few are called to visit there; so I usually have it to myself for awhile. It restores my soul from the cold winter. It just makes me smile. And I remember as a young girl walking under similar blossoms only in another time and place.

This time my "live-in gardener" walked with me. But really I think we each were in our own bubble of memories and contemplation.

"The apple blossom is also symbolic of long life, and "it stands for the concept of life continuing, even after we endure a 'death' during the winter of our lives." 

I didn't know this until I started writing this post. 

Apple orchards include memories of family gone, but not forgotten.

With this visit I took some tea in among the blossoms. A single table sits there just for me. At least that is what I tell myself.

The day was a bit chilly and a warm cup of tea was just what we needed.
I breathed in the scents of blossoms, soil, and grass all around.
I savored the moments.
Even the dandelions scattered in the grass made me smile.

Apple Blossoms

I sit in the shadow of apple-boughs,
 In the fragrant orchard close,
And around me floats the scented air,
 With its wave-like tidal flows.
I close my eyes in a dreamy bliss,
 And call no king my peer;
For is not this the rare, sweet time,
 The blossoming time of the year?

I lie on a couch of downy grass,
 With delicate blossoms strewn,
And I feel the throb of Nature's heart
 Responsive to my own.
Oh, the world is fair, and God is good,
 That maketh life so dear;
For is not this the rare, sweet time,

                                 The blossoming time of the year?                                  

I can see, through the rifts of the apple-boughs,
                The delicate blue of the sky,                          
And the changing clouds with their marvellous tints
 That drift so lazily by.
And strange, sweet thoughts sing through my brain,
 And Heaven, it seemeth near;
Oh, is it not a rare, sweet time,
 The blossoming time of the year?
~Horatio Algers Jr. 
 
Have a terrific weekend, dear friends!
Celebrate spring time and the blessings of Easter.

6 comments:

Terra said...

Your tour of the old apple orchard is charming and reminded me of when my hubby and I bought five acres with ancient apple trees on it. The blossoms are so pretty. Your tea cups are pretty too.

Jeanie said...

These are just so beautiful! I'm glad you took your tea -- that's as lovely as the blossoms. It reminds me of having apple trees in my yard when I was growing up!

Lorrie said...

How beautiful apple blossoms are, and I love how you make the most of them. Your pretty tea party in the apple orchard is utterly charming. And the poem - why have I not read it before? I love it. Happy Easter Marilyn and J.

Red Rose Alley said...

Oh, I love it when you share the apple orchards with us, Marilyn. It seems like such a peaceful place to be. The pink blossoms are so pretty. And your tea is perfect for the day. I love that green tea pot. And your pictures are so charming with the old wooden table and the two tea cups. I am starting to see dandelions on my front yard now. But like you, they make me smile. ; )

I really liked the poem you shared also. You always see the goodness in nature, and I appreciate that so much.

~Sheri

Laura Morrigan said...

Apple blossoms definitely have a special feeling to them! Loved hearing about your memories! Beautiful tea set!

Tammy@T's Daily Treasures said...

Beautiful and peaceful. Happy Wednesday.