Friday, April 29, 2022

I SEE

 One of my all time favorite quotes:

"Nobody sees a flower, really

It is so small

We haven't time,

Like to have a friend

Takes time."

~Georgia O'Keefe 

 


 That word to SEE or to be SEEN has really come to sit with me lately. Over Easter I heard the story of Mary finding Jesus in the Garden and she SAW him and knew it was him. I imagine Jesus felt safe to show himself to a good friend. How often do you talk to someone and feel you are not seen? You open yourself up to be seen by this person and yet they turn it on to themselves. This has sat heavily on my mind the past few months and I have noticed this all to often. It saddens me.

When we look beyond the chaos and craziness, what do we see? Do we see fear, insecurity, sadness, and hurts? What lifts us up from these feelings when we are truly SEEN?

One thing I decided to do for myself is to see people in my life; so in October I started inviting one person at a time to come for tea. I wanted to give them my attention and really SEE them. I am realizing after some months now that people want to be seen and to see you, but with the craziness and distractions of life we don't take the time to SEE, really SEE what's on the heart. Tea has given me this gift, an opportunity to sit with someone and SEE them. It is an intentional time set aside to SEE those that are important in my life.


 What do you do to SEE someone or on the other side to be SEEN? How do you feel when you are not SEEN by someone you consider important in your life?

 

Last week I had several opportunities to be with a friend or two over cups of tea and nibbles. What a delight to sit, savor, and truly see special people in my life.

 


Yes, it takes time. Yes, it takes planning. Yes, it takes stopping/pausing and truly listening with the heart. If more people truly took the time to SEE our world would be a better place. Take that pause, look around you, and see that "flower" or person around you that needs some time to be SEEN.

Sending love to you, dear friends!

Have a great weekend!

4 comments:

Jeanie said...

You are right. Friendships take time and time to listen. This is a beautiful and well timed post, Marilyn. And I have to say, your tea table is just divine!

Lorrie said...

Seeing people as they are is so important, and often sadly lacking in relationships. What a beautiful reminder to take the time to SEE family and friends, and to make the time to do so. Your tea table is gorgeous and welcoming.

Red Rose Alley said...

Oh, I so wish we lived in the same town so we could have tea together, Marilyn. You are such a special and warm person. What a lovely table setting for your friend. All the blue is so pretty.

SEE is an incredibly special and important word. The flower photo is beautiful. That was a favorite color of my Mom's. How special it is that you take the time to notice and see the people that you care about. To truly see and hear someone has been lost in our world. It's nice to know someone is trying to find that again.

~Sheri

Laura Morrigan said...

It took me until I was about 25 to find people who saw the real me and loved me as I was. I was no longer disposable but actually special and valuable. I think it is wonderful to take time to reconnect with friends and really see each other!