Monday, December 12, 2022

A Gift for You - A Flower and A Poem

 

 Today is actually the lyrics to a song that really touched my heart this past week.

The poinsettia is a gift from my "live-in gardener" and one I am enjoying. 

In the Bleak Midwinter
In the bleak midwinterFrosty wind made moanEarth stood hard as ironWater like a stoneSnow had fallenSnow on snow on snowIn the bleak midwinterLong, long agoAngels and Arc AngelsMay have traveled thereCherubim and SeraphimThronged the airBut only his MotherIn her maiden blissWorshiped the belovedWith a kissWhat can I give him?Poor as I amIf I were a shepherdI would give a lambIf I were a wise manI would do my partBut what I can I give himGive him my heartGive him my heart
 
Song by Christina Rossetti and Gustav Holst
 
Sometime all we can give is our heart.
Mrs. Lily Mouse and Mr. Seth Mouse also are offering a cup of tea
to their gnome friend in the forest. A time of quiet revelry.
 
Thinking about these words as I have had several friends and family hurting,
but all I can give is my heart and a hug, even if it is virtually.

As I walk in my neighborhood I have carried a bag to collect things from nature to add to the bowl. A gift of nature.
It is the simple gifts that touch our hearts at this season,
the gifts from our heart that don't necessarily take from our pocketbook.
And again I am reminded of the song.
In the darkest times it is our heart that gives JOY.
 

3 comments:

Jeanie said...

One of my favorite songs. It's so beautiful. And I love your nature bowl -- what a beautiful idea. And the mice. Enchanting. Thanks for this!

Lorrie said...

I do love that Christmas carol. The hope of Christ come to this world's bleak midwinter is always true.
Love the little mice and your nature bowl.

Red Rose Alley said...

This is, indeed, a special post, Marilyn. And I really like those pink ornaments with the things you collected from nature. Nature is pure and good, and they are fitting for the season. The items in your house often look vintage to me.....which I love. That little dome with the greenery is so cute and creative.

~Sheri