Friday, December 16, 2022

Scents of Christmas

 

 

As I read Nigel Slater's book, The Christmas Chronicles, I am reminded of the scents of Christmas. This week I served Christmas tea to my cousin and his wife. As I placed the food on the table once again the scents of the season tickled my nose.

 

Of course there were fresh baked scones from the oven still warm.

Then savories of roast beef, chopped olive, sausages in rolls, and creamy cheese warm from the oven. Sweets of crunchy cookies topped with cherries, dates and nuts rolled in pure delight, pecans baked and oh so spicy, chocolates that melted in the mouth, and chewy bits of delight to nibble.

The tea was poured of flowery lapsang. It was freshly brewed and warm, just the right amount to delight this girls heart.


The winter light from outdoors was so beautiful coming in to join us on this day.

Vintages plates and tablecloth were lovingly placed on the table in preparation for a time of laughter and of tears. Yes, sometimes there is both laughter and tears.


 

The tree was lite in preparation. Scents of evergreen surrounded us.

 
I savor each fragrance of evergreen, cinnamon, nuts, fruit, and burning candles each and every day of the season of Christmas, the season of delight!


May you delight in the small things of the season.

Have a terrific weekend, dear friends!

5 comments:

Linda P said...

Your decorated Christmas tree looks beautiful. Entertaining friends is such a joy. We create special memories during these festive days of December.

Lorrie said...

The description of your teatime menu has my mouth watering. What a lovely way to spend an afternoon with people you love.

Jeanie said...

I love your tree! It's perfect on that table, too. And your tea table looks so good. I can only imagine the fragrance, but I know it was divine!

Sandi Magle said...

Num, I think that sounds and smells, wonderful. I really think a tea or brunch is the ideal thing to do for relaxed entertaining! Hope you have wonderful Happy Holidays.

Red Rose Alley said...

Marilyn, when I first started blogging 11 years ago, I did a post about the five senses at Christmas. This post reminded me of that. There are so many wonderful smells at Christmastime. You set such a nice table for your cousin. And you prepared so many Yummy foods. The green glasses are perfect. Your home looks so cozy and welcoming, and I love that you still use the colored lights. I do too! I love your tree. It looks so pretty sitting on the white table. Everything looks very nice.

~Sheri