Friday, December 23, 2022

The Season of Light

The season of Winter Solstice and Christmas always leads me to focus on the light and sparkly of the season. I crave it. So driving through downtown Portland a few nights ago I felt like I was in heaven, surrounded by the twinkling lights.

My live in gardener and I were on our way to a Christmas concert. It never ceases to make the season brighter and put me in the spirit of Christmas.

And then on to the church Christmas program on Sunday where my live in gardener always reads The Night Before Christmas for the children. Even our grandson loved it. Each person's song, story, and poem made me smile.

And the children came to the manger as different animals.
It was a little unorganized, but still just seeing the children at Christmas is what it is all about. The joyfulness, the silly, and the somber.
Walking in my neighborhood makes me smile too and pause for a moment to delight in the festive spirit.


The creative spirit, the spirit of light; it all just makes my heart smile with JOY for this season. I remind myself to notice what I notice right here, right around me. Notice the light shining in a dark world and let it touch our hearts with a song, a little laughter, a smile, and a time of remembrance.

I woke this morning remembering just a very small thing that happened yesterday. At the market I bumped the price marker on something in the produce section and the little sign fell to the floor. Just a little thing indeed, but before I knew it someone stepped forward to pick it up for me. I paused to think about this just this morning and wondered if I showed gratefulness to that person. Did I acknowledge this helpful spirit? Yes, a little thing, but they make a day more special, they make us smile and put a song in our heart.

And someone in the neighborhood has decorated their world for us to enjoy.
It is those little things I must notice to warm my day and make it sparkle and sing.
 
My friend, Holly, shared this poem with me and I am passing it along to you.
 

The Shortest Day by Susan Cooper

  • And so the Shortest Day came and the year died
  • And everywhere
  •  down the centuries of the snow-white world
  • Came people singing, dancing,
  • To drive the dark away.
  • They lighted candles in the winter trees;
  • They hung their homes with evergreen;
  • They burned beseeching fires all night long
  • To keep the year alive.
  • And when the new year’s sunshine blazed awake
  • They shouted, reveling.
  • Through all the frosty ages you can hear them
  • Echoing behind us—listen!
  • All the long echoes, sing the same delight,
  • This Shortest Day,
  • As promise wakens in the sleeping land:
  • They carol, feast, give thanks,
  • And dearly love their friends,
  • And hope for peace.
  • And now so do we, here, now,
  • This year and every year.
  • Welcome, Yule!
As I burn the candles this day to keep the dark away,
I am sending love and light to each of you.
May your days be blessed with joy and laughter
and lights twinkling in the dark.
 
Sending, above all else, LOVE.
 
Merry Christmas!
 
 

4 comments:

Lorrie said...

Merry Christmas, Marilyn and J. This season is full of delights and I really enjoyed reading about some of yours. I love the lights, too.

Laura said...

Happy Holidays to you and yours!
love & magicks
~*~

Red Rose Alley said...

So wonderful that your husband reads to the children at Christmastime. That little creation that someone made in the neighborhood looks like a dream catcher perhaps? So pretty. A walk in your neighborhood seeing the sights and sounds of Christmas is a wonderful time. Thank you for your words at the end, Marilyn, they are beautiful.

Merry Christmas!

~Sheri

Jeanie said...

I love every word and photo here, Marilyn. The lights, the decorations, the church reading and especially the joy! Happiest of the season to you all!