Monday, December 26, 2022

A Gift for You - A Flower and A Poem

 In finishing the year I found I wanted to focus on HOPE. The following poem immediately came to me and wanted to share it as a final poem for 2022. 


Both pictures are from my own garden this week. 

There was ice, snow, and then much rain and wet; but above all else is HOPE.

Several mornings I had to bring the hummingbird feeder inside to thaw. When it was returned to it's perch I would find the little bird nearby waiting.

“Hope” is the thing with feathers

“Hope” is the thing with feathers -
That perches in the soul -
And sings the tune without the words -
And never stops - at all -

And sweetest - in the Gale - is heard -
And sore must be the storm -
That could abash the little Bird
That kept so many warm -

I’ve heard it in the chillest land -
And on the strangest Sea -
Yet - never - in Extremity,
It asked a crumb - of me.

 

 

And the garden will return to flower again.

Hold HOPE in your heart.

May you be blessed this Christmas season!

4 comments:

Red Rose Alley said...

Oh, that little hummingbird in the cold. What a sweet picture you have shared today, Marilyn. HOPE is one of my favorite words of all. Thank you for a year of delightful "a flower and a poem" posts.

~Sheri

Linda P said...

Your poems and photos throughout this year have been thoughtful and well chosen. Thank you. The star, the humming bird and the flowers that will return in the coming year remind me of the beauty of our world and the need to care for it. Having hope in our hearts is important. All the best to you and your loved ones in 2023.

Jeanie said...

I do love those garden photos. And the poem is perfection!

Laura said...

one of my most favorite poems! thanks for sharing and i love your birdy photo.
love & magicks
~*~