Monday, April 17, 2023

Word Magic

 meraki is the word today.

It means to do something from our soul, to put our heart into it. Example: That is a beautiful piece of art, you can tell the artist did it with meraki.

My "live-in gardener" carves one Santa for our grandson every year for Christmas. He put many hours and his heart into each carving. Can you see the heart in Santa's hands? He was bringing it to give to our D.

In my home town in California I have shared before some of the metal sculptures. One man that lived in the neighborhood wanted to recycle metal scraps and started decorating his neighborhood with the sculptures. Now it is a tourist attraction and I have heard the best street in town to go "trick-or-treating" on Halloween.


The more I think about this word "meraki" I think of those that make a beautiful bouquet or cook an amazing meal or bake a spectacular cake or grow a garden in a beautiful way. In so many ways different ones put their whole heart and soul in the beauty that surrounds us.

 

Could it be in the way a photographer lines up and snaps a picture? First of all, the photographer had to notice the subject of the picture, then treasure it enough to snap.


Or makes a special birthday cake.


Or creates a clever piece of art.


Or even builds a bridge when there were skeptics and lives lost in the doing so.


 

Creating a beautiful garden can be from the heart too.


A piece of art that decorated a garden for awhile here in Portland, just said to me it was from the heart and soul of the artist.


 

Even in relics from Egypt I see there was soul put into those faces.

The best part of this word to me is that we notice the meraki (the heart and soul) that surrounds us. As I continue to think about this word the more becomes clear. Creation in many forms comes from this beautiful word or from the heart and soul of the creator. 

Have a terrific week, dear friends!

And Notice what you Notice.



4 comments:

Red Rose Alley said...

That cake is definitely a work of art and made with such care by the baker. And the Santa that your husband carved is a wonderful piece as well. What a dear gift for your grandson. The Owl sculptures are cool, and the artist has a talent creating these metal sculptures. I'd love to drive through this neighborhood in California and see them all. A good word you chose today, Marilyn. Have a great week.

~Sheri

Linda P said...

An interesting word that's new to me. Your examples to illustrate the concept of meraki have been well chosen. Thank you for sharing them. I'm sure your grandson will treasure the carved Santa holding the heart. So much love has gone into the making of it.

Jeanie said...

I'm not at all familiar with at word and I'm so glad you introduced it to us. It'll stick with me. I just love that Live In Gardener is also a wood sculptor. What a wonderful treasure for your D.

Mary said...

A new word for me also - probably just one of so many in the dictionary that I've never come across, and at this point never will!!!
I do like it though.

I had no idea J was such an awesome wood carver - that's a lovely Santa and I bet D will treasure it always.
Great cake decoration - some people are so talented.
Hugs - Mary