Friday, June 16, 2023

The Importance of Trees

 Say hello to my tree:

Trees add beauty to our world.

In using my voice I find the need to speak up about things that are often heavy on my heart. There are so many things from the way people treat each other to how they treat our world and earth. In the past I have mentioned trees and the important role they play in global warming. If I were a rich girl I would spend a portion of my money on planting trees around the world. But even one tree planted can make a difference, Reading just recently the magazine from American Forest, it shared how the city of Phoenix is the first city in the US to dedicate their community to Tree Equity by 2030 by planting avenues of trees throughout the city. Phoenix temperatures are predicted to rise an average of 11 degrees hotter by the end of this century. By planting trees they can improve the air quality and stormwater runoff, both of which can make a difference to their community. Planting the trees in corridors will give it's residence cooler places to walk. Trees help lower the temperature and also clean the air. Now why is it we are not planting more trees in all our cities. Phoenix is leading the way, let's encourage our cities to follow.

 

They provide shelter and sustenance for critters. 

 

On a recent walk in my neighborhood.

This street is two blocks from my house and is considered an arboretum. Many of the trees have plaques that tell us what kind of tree it is. When I walk or drive here just seeing the trees makes my heart sing.

 

I am beginning and ending with pictures of my witch hazel tree.

I love this tree.

Not too long ago I had it moved to my daughters home. I knew she would love it too.

Even her neighbors noticed this special little tree.

 

Do trees sing to your heart?

Have a terrific weekend, dear friends!

Go out and notice the trees around you. What do you see? Is there a tree unique to your area?

One more thought:

"The true meaning of life is to plant trees, under whose shade you do not expect to sit."

― Nelson Henderson

 


3 comments:

Terra said...

I love trees too.Remember when the trees were stirred to move and fight for justice in Lord of the Rings? I have planted quite a few trees and planning to plant another fruit tree. When my husband died a group of people made a gift of planting 150 trees in a forest, that is so thoughtful. Bravo to Phoenix.

Red Rose Alley said...

I love your tree post, Marilyn. And Yes, trees make my heart sing. There is a tree at the creek that I often look at when I visit. It's old and full and I like to see the changes in the different seasons. The walk in your neighborhood looks like a peaceful one, and partly because of all those green trees on each side of the walkway. Thank you for using your voice in trying to preserve the trees around us and planting more, Marilyn.

Have a pleasant weekend, and I will notice the trees along the way.

~Sheri

Linda P said...

I've always loved wooded areas. Trees create a wonderful environment for humans and various creatures. Your daughter will surely love the hazel tree and the neighbours will appreciate it too. I'm so thankful that there are different trees in our world. The natural world looks very green, calm and beautiful here in England and over in Italy, just visited.