Monday, June 19, 2023

Word Magic

 A very simple word today: Tea

definition: "a hot drink made by infusing the dried crushed leaves of the tea plant in boiling water.
" I even read one definition of two women having tea included gossip.


What images does the word "tea" create in your mind? I was surprised to read "tea and gossip", but yes that sometimes is part of it. I know I talk about tea alot, but I often wonder when I mention that word to someone, what are they thinking? Is it the desperate need for a cup of caffeine in the morning or a fancy ladies afternoon tea experience with tiny sandwiches and sweets? This tea girl wants to know.


For me I think of many different things:

1. That it comes from the camellia sinensis plant, which is in the camellia family. "Camellia sinensis is a species of evergreen shrub or small tree in the flowering plant family Theaceae. Its leaves and leaf buds are used to produce the popular beverage tea. Common names include tea plant, tea shrub, and tea tree." Wikipedia


2. Much of the origins came from China and Asia.

3. The pleasure of sitting each morning in silence to sip the warmth of a variety of teas from white to black to oolongs to puers.




 

4. I picture the people all over the world sipping tea, as it is the second most drunk liquid with only water being sipped the most. 


 

5. Tea is an opportunity to visit with friends. It is what the British call a "cuppa".

6. On a cold day it warms me and on a hot day it cools me.

7. Some people enjoy tea out of a pretty teapot poured into a china cup with saucer. Others might sip their tea from a jar. And some people sip their tea from tiny cups that you might think are only for a child.

Today a friend came to tea. We sipped a lovely black tea, nibbled on scones and fruit; but most importantly we chatted. About a year and half ago I started inviting friends to come to "tea". The purpose was to catch up with our lives and it was framed with cups of tea.


I think most often when I think of tea time it is one of two things. It is either my quiet time in the morning or a shared time with friends.

So tell me dear friends, when you say you are having tea what image sits in your mind?

Have a terrific week, dear friends!


2 comments:

Linda P said...

I talked a lot about our coffee times in recent blog posts, but a cup of tea in a morning sets us up for the day. I get up early, sit, drink and enjoy my cuppa before taking another to my husband. At other times afternoon tea is a social occasion with family and friends. I take a packet of tea with us wherever we travel so that it's always to hand.

Red Rose Alley said...

When I have a cup of tea, it's usually in the afternoon, and mostly herbal types, as I don't like caffeine at night. I usually have it with a cookie or pastry, and it is a calming time. Your table set for your friend is so pretty with all the greens, Marilyn. Love those green glasses. Tea is a perfect word this week, and I think it was meant just for you. : )

~Sheri