Thursday, October 15, 2020

Oaks Bottom Nature Reserve

 The weather person said it would rain on Saturday, but for some reason I wanted to go in search of mushrooms. Having painted mushrooms recently and at this time of year I just knew there were mushrooms and lichens to be found. It had been many years since I had hiked through Oaks Bottom Nature Reserve right here in the city; so off I went. No, it wasn't raining, so I thought I would be fine.

At first I didn't think I would find any mushrooms, but as I watched more closely I found wonderful lichens and other fun surprises.What I thought we would see was birds, but only one bird was spotted. At the bottom of the hill was a train track and much to my "live-in gardener" and my surprise the train was coming down the track. There were waves of greeting to be had and then they had passed us by.

I felt like I had found the mother lode of mushrooms when I found this cluster just sitting under a tree.

                                                                      Aren't they beautiful?

                                 There were some individual mushrooms hiding under leaves too.

Beside searching for mushrooms and lichens I knew I would see a fairy or two, but alas there were none to be found. Next time I will go more quietly and maybe I will find them then.

And fun discoveries growing on the trees. By the end of the hike we were soaked, but I learned what to look for and where to look too. Even the rain couldn't deter me and I loved every moment of this adventure.
Walking at Oaks Bottom Nature Reserve was pure delight. Now I can't wait to go on a sunny day and maybe I will discover more birds or a frog at the tadpole pond.

                         What fun to escape to nature right in the middle of the city. I will be back for sure.

4 comments:

Jeanie said...

You definitely aces your mushroom quest! Those are beautiful. I'm so fascinated by fungi! And the train spotting had to be an extra fun part of the day. It looks like the perfect activity for an October afternoon! Now, let's see your painting!

Anonymous said...

What a fun adventure!! Susan

mamasmercantile said...

Always a joy to go adventuring, you certainly found some delights to share with us. So glad you managed to get out and about.

Rosemary said...

A nature escape in the middle of the city is such fun! Love all the mushrooms... they are all so beautiful and unique! I'm sure you will happen upon a fairy or two on your next sunny day visit!