Tuesday, October 27, 2020

Word for the Day - 2020

 Boundaries/Boundary

 from Wikipedia: Personal boundaries are guidelines, rules or limits that a person creates to identify reasonable, safe and permissible ways for other people to behave towards them and how they will respond when someone passes those limits.[1] They are built out of a mix of conclusions, beliefs, opinions, attitudes, past experiences and social learning.

A walled garden.  Boundaries can also be topographical, such as determining the streets to be included in a neighborhood, or maybe the border of a state or country. It even can be marked with a fence to say this is my boundary for my property. 

A fence marks the back of my own yard. Can you see the chain link?
Another garden marked by a hedge to give a boundary.

Do you find for different situations having to set a boundary to protect oneself?

Is it a personal boundary or a visible boundary? Has the boundary been set because of experience, hurt, or taken down because of joy and acceptance.

This word has many thoughts and directions. I haven't really grasped the full meaning of it. But I know I set personal boundaries because of past experiences and where my heart tells me to go. I set a lock on my gate to my backyard because I know that makes my property safer, but sometimes I also set a lock on my heart from past hurts. Sometimes those boundaries must be broken down, but sometimes they are a good thing too. 

What do you think? This is one I still struggle with.

3 comments:

Red Rose Alley said...

I think your words are wise, Marilyn. I have read where we are supposed to guard our hearts. Many people don't do that and they say and do foolish things. Sometimes boundaries are needed around homes, yards, and Yes, even in our hearts. Our instincts will tell us when the boundaries can be taken down and we are able to trust. You share the most interesting and important words, Marilyn.

~Sheri

Jeanie said...

I set personal boundaries. In fact, since Covid, I feel ilke life is one big boundary. Don't go here or there unless.... Sometimes you just have to say "no" which is a word that helps establish those boundaries. Sometimes fences are good, sometimes not. A very thought-provoking post.

Linda P said...

Some interesting and lovely photographs to illustrate this word and concept I like the fact that you have a chain link fence, but you can see through it too. With regard to our own garden I feel secure because we are surrounded by a tall hedge and dry stone walls around our property. Looking out from the bedroom window upstairs we can see across the valley to the hills beyond. I like our security and also like the freedom to walk in areas beyond our front garden. It's our responsibility to set boundaries when it comes to behaviour and choose what we share especially regarding our thoughts and feelings. Thankfully, I believe I was taught well by the adults around me when I was a child and have a balanced approach to living.