Thursday, October 29, 2020

Grass People Tree

Now if it wasn't for the pandemic I would probably not have heard of Grass People Tree.  I happened to go online for a tea panel discussion and there was Rui speaking about her people in the mountains of China. She now lives in London, UK and recently opened a tea shop where she sells tea from her village and educates. I was fascinated and wanted to learn more, so I started following her on Instagram. She was doing a live chat last week about Slow Mellow Yellow tea. Yes, I ordered a small amount and it came this week. I had to taste right away and was no disappointed. Then this morning she had a live zoom chat and tasting with the tea. What fun!


 Here is a little history:

In Guizhou, China tea is their most "treasured harvest". "For two thousand years, the people of Guizhou have always harvested teas from our mother mountains the same way - taking only what each season offers and preparing it in tune with nature." Their tea is "grown wild in the primeval mountains & picked from indigenous tea trees aged between 400-1500 years. (Not from tea plantations) Made in tune with nature using the oldest tea-making methods (No industrial processing) Thrives in boiling water and no bitterness no matter how long you brew."  Fascinating, isn't it? I had never come across a tea business that functioned this way. I was intrigued!


 In my order came a folded brochure that had tips for recycling the tea once used, from compost, tea sleep pillows, mosquito bites and sunburn treatment. Unused tea can be used to enhance wood, fragrance, clean grease, and odor; but who is going to be using unused tea when we can drink it!?

It arrived in a slim box and the packaging was gorgeous. A personal note of Thanks was included.

OK, can you tell I was in love with everything about this tea adventure. I had to try right away. It was like drinking a small bowl of orchids. The leaves unfurled so beautifully with the greeting of a bouquet of flowers floating through the air. I sipped and for awhile was carried away to another place. A place of peace. The more I have since thought about this tea, it just felt like a full mouth of a mature forest of flowers. I don't usually set aside a post to tell you about a tea, but this one is worth it. Not that I am saying to go buy it, but to just pay attention when tasting and learn about the tea you drink. Where did it come from, who grew it? What does it taste like? Is it grassy, a bowl of flowers, medicinal, or invigorating?

Thank you Grass People Tree.

grasspeopletree.com                                         

 

Happy Weekend, dear friends!                       



2 comments:

Angela McRae said...

This company sounds most intriguing, and I'm sure the Zoom chat, too, makes this tasting quite memorable. Sounds like quite a lovely tea tasting experience all the way around!

Red Rose Alley said...

This is interesting, Marilyn. I've never heard of grass people tree. The tea sounds tasty. You learned a lot about it, and the Zoom chat sounds fun. I don't really like the teas that have a flowery taste, but I'd like to try this one. Anything that relaxes and calms is my cup of tea. ; )

~Sheri