Monday, October 5, 2020

Word for the Day - 2020

 Wonder

From Wikipedia: Wonder most commonly refers to an emotion comparable to surprise that people feel when perceiving something rare or unexpected

For me wonder almost always has something to do with nature.

It might be out hiking and finding a waterfall I didn't know was there, or driving down the highway and suddenly seeing a huge field of pumpkins, or in my own garden discovering some sweet flower popping out of the ground when I didn't expect to see them there.

Or the first smile coming from a baby.

What comes to mind too is Alice in Wonderland. Alice found so many "rare and unexpected" surprises when traveling to Wonderland. Just stepping through the mirror took her to adventures she would have never imagined.

What wonders touch your heart? intrigue you? 

and make your heart just smile?
 

 

4 comments:

Tracy said...

Wonder... what a great word! Just the word alone for something inspire the feeling of it sometimes, doesn't it? I often think of nature when wonder is concerned... so many of those WONDER moments have been outdoors--at the beach, in the woods...very much divine moments, those wonder moments... ((HUGS))

Jeanie said...

Lizzie's purr. I still can't figure out how she does it. I also don't understand electricity. It just sort of happens...

Red Rose Alley said...

Great word, Marilyn. And a sweet photo of baby. Seeing a huge field of pumpkins while driving is definitely a sight. The things that intrigue me and make my heart just smile are.... a rose just in bloom, foggy days, a sunrise, and Yes, a pumpkin field! You're right, wonder does cone with nature. : )

~Sheri

Lorrie said...

Wonder and the natural world are tied together in my mind, too. And babies, of course! They are such wonders, so near to God's heart.