Friday, December 18, 2020

A Little Baking

 Once baking begins in my house I really feel the presence of Christmas.

I love baking, so I save it to a time when the music comes on, the house is decorated, and packages sent. It is my most festive time of year.

My mother always made cherry winks just for me and that tradition happens after all these years. I love making them and they say Christmas to me with the citrus flavor and the cherry on top.

Some of the candy canes will be crushed later to sprinkle on top of chocolate cupcakes.
I wasn't going to make sugar cookies this year, but then I saw pretty ones on Instagram
and wouldn't you know it, they were added to the list. They are still frozen now and awaiting icing.
Date pinwheels are always a must to bake and I love that I can keep them ready in the refrigerator when just a few to nibble on are "needed". 
Mince pies are one of my favorites and these little tarts are just the right size to satisfy that hunger.
Yummm!
Now I think I need to go find one.
Even a few little star cookies appeared on my tea table this week.
This is my online zoom tea time with friends. Well you might wonder about the 4 cups, humm?

It was my tea ceremony group where we usually have 4 cups served by different people, but since we are online right now we each drink the 4 little cups of tea ourselves and meditate on those around us and love to the world.

On Christmas morning I always bake a stollen and this year there will be one too. I usually divide the dough into two stollens instead of one large one. This year I may make three small ones so I can pass two of them along to others. After all there are only three of us in my house and how many cookies and stollen do we really need. For me it is the joy, the passing along some of the joy, and just the plain nibble with my cup of tea.

Do you like to bake for Christmas? What is your favorite nibble with a cup of tea at this time of year?

Happy Weekend, dear friends!



7 comments:

Red Rose Alley said...

Oh, how I've been craving mince pies, Marilyn. Your baked goodies look so Yummy, especially that last dessert. You really went all out baking this year. Everything you made looks so good. And I would love to have a taste of all of them.

Happy weekend, Marilyn.

~Sheri

mamasmercantile said...

Your baking all looks so delicious, I do wish I could join you to sample some of it. Yes, I do bake for Christmas and share it amongst my neighbours, a tradition that I love.

Jeanie said...

Oh Marilyn -- it all looks WONDERFUL! SO tasty! And pretty, too. I've never made stollen. Maybe I can talk bread guy into it this year. I've been baking up a storm and plan to really focus on it this weekend -- loud music and good smells! It's the best. So far I've made Jingle Balls (like Mexican wedding cakes); raspberry bars, a cookie called Drumkakars and peanut butter fudge. This weekend, spiced nuts, shortbread and maybe cutouts. I want to do more cookie plates for delivery -- maybe some Secret Santa drops. We'll see how it goes!

Lorrie said...

Your baking looks so delicious and pretty, Marilyn. I've never heard of Cherry Winks and will be looking up that recipe. I have just a couple more things to prepare and then I'll be done. Enjoy your time in the kitchen!

Thelma said...

Your baking all looks delicious. I've baked a lot this year.
I try to keep busy staying home.
I made fruit cakes, gumdrop cakes and lot of cookies I will give out to neighbours and family.
Merry Christmas

Tracy said...

LOVELY to catch up with you, Marilyn... and to see all these goodies--YUM!! I've been doing some baking too... 3 kinds of cookies so far, our Christmas Cake... probably too many sweets! A January diet may be happening... haha! ;) Happy Holidays to you & yours, my friend ((LOVE & HUGS))

Yellow Rose Arbor said...

Everything looks delicious! Would love to join you with a cup of tea, but I'm way down here in Florida! My hubby is diabetic so I can't bake much, I do plan to do something Thursday and hope he'll be sensible! ;-)
Katherine