Monday, October 17, 2022

And the Adventure Continues

 This week I decided to continue the adventure to California on Monday. Next week we will return to a Flower and a Poem.

Early in this third day I visited the graves of my mother and grandfather. They lie side by side for eternity in a very old cemetery.  

 On the way to the market to buy food for a noon picnic date we had some time to stop a couple places and I snapped so many pictures I think I will share them another day.

Then it was picnic time with my sister, her husband, two of her sons and one wife. No pictures were taken to share, but it was lovely time in the park of our childhood. At the end of the picnic I made small cups of tea and we shared some cookies given to me by my friend, Ann. It was a perfect way to connect with family and a delight of the day.

After the picnic I just wanted to drive to the coast and enjoy the beautiful day.

 Potter School, where a famous movie was filmed.

Do you recognize it? It was by Alfred Hitchcook, The Bird's, filmed in 1962. It is in the small village of Bodega and of course I had to stop and snap a picture on the way to Bodega Bay. It is privately owned and a family residence now.

Bodega Bay is only about 30 minutes by car from my hometown of Sebastopol. As a little girl I remember my grandfather and uncles would fish here for both surf fish and abalone. What a treat when we had plate full of fresh fish from the sea. It is a gorgeous drive.

It really is just an iconic seaside town and so beautiful.
As my mother got older she often requested having a drive to this area for the day. She delighted in the sea, as I also do.
There is something so soothing in sitting by the sea.
Many boats are anchored here for both the business of fish and for pleasure.
Broken down barns call for me to stop and snap. This one was surrounded by eucalyptus trees and smelled so good.
Driving back to town this Catholic church on the hill called to me to snap a picture. Isn't it beautiful? I could just imagine a beautiful wedding there. Oh that sky! It was one of those gorgeous, blue sky days.
And I would be remiss if I didn't share a snap of an apple tree orchard along the road. As a young girl this was a common sight. Though there still are plenty, many have been pulled out to grow grapes.
In the past this building has housed a flower nursery and antique shop, maybe even a coffee shop. It was sad to see it sitting vacant at the moment. Hoping someone comes and rescues it.


It was a gorgeous day of again remembering my past and soaking in the ambiance.

I find this adventure for me was a time of reminiscing, something good for the soul.

4 comments:

Red Rose Alley said...

Oh, I'm very familiar with Bodega Bay, being a Californian. What a nice visit you had there, Marilyn. So nice and thoughtful of you to stop and visit the sites where your mother and grandfather are at the cemetery. Oh Yes, I remember The Birds, such an eerie move that has us holding onto our seats. That Church is so pretty standing there on top of the hill. And I can only imagine the price of the green house that's vacant now. California housing is expensive. I would have loved to have seen this when it was a nursery, antique shop, and coffee shop, how charming. Such fond memories you have of this area, Marilyn, and of your dear mother loving this area as well.

~Sheri

Jeanie said...

Bodega Bay is so beautiful. I can see why your mother enjoyed visiting there. What a wonderful journey you are having, Marilyn. To visit such personal places, to be with your sister and family for a special picnic -- it all sounds wonderful and very fulfilling. (I had to laugh at the Birds reference. I remember when Rick and I made the boys watch it. At first they thought it was just a dumb movie and not scary -- and by the middle or end, their heads were under the covers peeking out!)

Lorrie said...

What lovely images from your travels, Marilyn. How great to connect with family while you were there, and a picnic is the perfect venue. I agree with you about the ocean being a soothing place to visit. I miss it when away from it too long.

Rosemary said...

Love seeing the west coast sea side images and vistas. What a great adventure you had!