Wednesday, October 12, 2022

The Adventure Begins

 
Warning! More pictures than I usually post.

Let's begin at the beginning of the adventure. I still had United Airlines credit from a cancelled trip at the beginning of the pandemic and it needed to be used. So my "live-in gardener" and I decided to be tourist in the Bay Area of California. I grew up there; so never thought about visiting as a tourist. However, there were some other reasons too for choosing to visit the first week of October. My 60+1 high school reunion took place on October 1st and though I didn't have a close friend to see in my class I decided I wanted to go. It had been at least 25 year since I had been in San Jose. Oh my, what changes had happened. I needed a GPS just to get around. The first morning we had some time free; so I decided we should visit the Rosicrucian Museum, which I had visited as a young girl. It also had changed, but still wonderful to visit.

We arrived a little early and they hadn't opened yet, but a walk in the garden was lovely. I shared a couple flower pictures on Monday from the garden right there. As you can see from my first picture it was a gorgeous, blue sky day. And then we stepped into the world of Egyptian artifacts.

 The entrance


There is a reproduction tomb, which I remembered from many years ago. It was a must for me to enter there.
I just thought this was beautiful!

The images depict the face of the Babylonian goddess Ishtar. I loved the smile on these figures.

In a good-luck ritual similar to carrying the bride over the threshold, small statues of Ishtar - a fertility goddess- were often broken and buried before the doorway of a newly married couple's household.

Another beauty was present!
The designs on this limestone cross include floral or solar symbols at the center and blend ancient motifs with Christian iconography. Imagery like this held meaning for many groups during the Coptic Period, a time of religious diversity.

The Alchemist's workshop, reproduced.
A private space for both practical and spiritual work.

Storage jars.
A beautiful quilt.
 
Well I needed to get one guy in here too.


Loved the pottery.

And finally the coffin and mummy inside of Tahure.
Tahure was the "Lady of the House" and about 28 years when she died.
I took a picture of the mummy, but then decided I didn't want to show it.
As a young girl, when I visited this museum, I was fascinated by the mummies.
I only found this one mummy on this visit. I think that was OK with me.
 
Overall, I loved revisiting this museum after so many years.
Egyptian art and stories still fascinate me. 

After leaving the museum we drove through my old neighborhood
and then it was time to gather with high school friends.
Well some have become friends just because of social media and it was fun to meet face to face and remember for awhile. I didn't take one picture, but I can say I enjoyed it more than I expected. We had all mellowed, but like in any group, I found myself gravitate to people I would normally gravitate to. It was worth just being surrounded by old school mates and for awhile remembering.

My next few posts will be continuing the adventure.


4 comments:

Lorrie said...

The museum looks very interesting, and the displays well done. Egyptian history has interested me for many years, too. Glad you enjoyed your reunion.

Jeanie said...

Wow -- what a fascinating museum. I'd never heard of this one and I know I would love it -- the whole idea of the alchemist workshop and all the other intriguing items.

Your trip sounds just wonderful and I can't wait to hear more about your reunion with old friends. How wise to be able to do this. It's nice that social media has made it a bit more like "picking up where we left off" with less of the awkward stuff!

Red Rose Alley said...

I'm catching up on your adventure, Marilyn. This museum has many things to look at. Egyptian art is very interesting to me as well. My mom loved this culture, and even at 70 said, "I want to go to Egypt." And she did! That quilt is so pretty and artistic.

I really enjoyed your current post as well. I'm very familiar with Half Moon Bay. The surfers in my family have surfed the great waters there. The tea you had was so lovely. The salad and cheddar and apple sandwich look amazing. And that pumpkin scone with preserves and cream! I bet it was so good to see your high school friends again. And to see your hometown once again.

I'm glad you had such a nice adventure, Marilyn. We need to do that from time to time. And when we look back, we get to see our wonderful photos of the time spent in the special places we visited.

~Sheri

Linda P said...

Your trip must have been special since it was an opportunity to visit places where you grew up and remember those times. It looks like a culturally interesting place to tour around. I look forward to hearing more.