Saturday, October 22, 2022

Chinatown

 Recently I had read a series of fiction by Roselle Lim that included San Francisco's Chinatown. I thoroughly enjoyed the light fiction and it brought back memories of having dinner in Chinatown for my 13th birthday. My grandmother lived in San Francisco at the time and had invited me to bring one friend and celebrate my 13th by having dinner there. I was so excited. Then living in San Francisco as a young adult I remembered attending Chinese New Years in Chinatown. Thus, I have fond memories of this place and was really looking forward to visiting.

But first there was a stop at the Ferry Building. When I lived there it was just that, a ferry building. It still has a ferry dock, but now it also has trendy shops and food places. Oh how life changes and moves on.

 

A glimpse of the city from the Ferry Building.


 

The Bay Bridge is almost by the Ferry Building door.

 

The ferry came into dock while we had a crepe lunch.

On a side note: The San Francisco Tea Festival is held at the Ferry Building each year. I believe it is coming the first weekend in November.

 

And then it was off to Chinatown. I was excited. We were driving and first of all we could not find parking. Really we should have taken public transportation.

I felt like this picture was iconic of what Chinatown was all about. There was the church, lanterns above the street, and a cable car and people.

Each shop felt more cluttered than the next one. It felt a bit claustrophobic and the streets were not particularly clean. I think it burst a bit of my fond memory bubble. Really it hadn't improved any since I was a little girl, but looking at it as an old lady it just didn't have the same delight. If you asked me if I was glad I went there I would say "yes"; but I have no need to return.

In this shop we did find a few sweet figures for my "live-in gardener" to add to his bonsai.

This is the main gate to Chinatown. I sent it a fond farewell. My memories will be cherished still, but I won't be returning.

This was probably my least favorite day, but it did remind me of what it was like to live in San Francisco. I love the city, but the center of the city where Chinatown resides reminded me why I love where I live. Maybe, afterall, that was a good thing.
 
Happy weekend, dear friends!

3 comments:

Red Rose Alley said...

Oh Yes, I think everyone in California has heard of Chinatown. With San Francisco being only 3 hours away from my hometown, I made a few visits there. The red lanterns are delightful. I'm glad you brought home a little something for the bonsai tree. But I do know what you mean about crowded places as we get older. That's why I am savoring my time here in the mountains, where things are slower, and nature is all around me.

Have a peaceful Sunday, Marilyn, and a blessed week ahead.

~Sheri

Jeanie said...

What fabulous views! Having only been to Chinatown once and years ago, I remember thinking "meh." Interesting but not my thing. I'm glad I'm not the only one because I was beginning to think I was!

Linda P said...

I've been to Chinatown in Liverpool, England and found the entrance gate like the one in your photo impressive. I think I would enjoy the same experience in London. I would love to see Chinese lanterns strung across the street too. It's good to see the sights on a trip away, but also good to appreciate home.