Thursday, October 13, 2022

Day Two - The Adventure Continues

 The second day we drove north along Highway 1 and Half Moon Bay. Many years ago, when we lived in San Francisco, we would go here to a candle factory and pumpkins in the fall. The candle factory is gone now, but there were pumpkins growing everywhere. And of course, I love the coast line. Can you see all the surfers in the water? It was a perfect weather day for surfing, but I didn't see many waves to ride.



And over the Golden Gate Bridge we went.

We had a date for tea in my home town of Sebastopol, about an hour north of San Francisco.
I was born in Sebastopol and my relatives all lived here; so I always call it my "hometown". I lived here until the 6th grade and my sister and some cousins still live in the area.
Muir's Tearoom on Main Street is, I believe, the only vegan tearoom in the country. This was my second visit for tea and really you wouldn't know unless someone told you that it was vegan.
We were meeting a friend for teatime. It was a wonderful visit and such a special place to sit and chat the afternoon away.
October was Muir's Black Hat Society, Halloween Tea. See if you can see the touches for celebrating. We started with a Fall salad of greens, pears, and cranberries.
I love when the tower of goodies come to the table. Of course, we had to take pictures.
Hi, my friend, Ann!
The savouries: Autumn vegan cheddar and apple sandwich, mummy puff pastry "sausage" roll, deviled egg-less salad sandwich, cucumber sandwich, and sweet potato slice with avocado.
Pumpkin scone with preserves and "cream".
The sweets: Layered devil's food cake with hazelnut, pumpkin tart, fall fruit.
 
And one more stop on the way to our hotel. This was my grandfather's home when I was growing up. What surprised me most were the big trees in front. When I was a little girl there were no trees there.
This trip was about reminiscing and remembering.
It was a good second day of the adventure in California.

3 comments:

Jeanie said...

Oh, that tea looks to die for! And how wonderful to see your friend, Anne. I love visiting places where I (or family) used to live. Sometimes it looks totally different and yet it remains special. What a grand journey.

Lorrie said...

I am also fond of the tiered tea tray and most places in our town offer it that way. Your treats and savories all look so scrumptious, Marilyn, and visiting with your friend there reminds me of the tea we enjoyed together in Oak Bay. What a special time to see some of the buildings that were special to you in your youth.

Rosemary said...

Such a grand adventure! Thank you for sharing the beautiful vegan tea time pictures. Just lovely! Vegan and whole food plant based are certainly becoming more mainstream, it seems more tea rooms have a vegan option now, by special request.