Saturday, January 28, 2023

Book Reviews

I don't often mention or review books I have read, but my blogger friend, Jeanie, at The Marmalade Gypsy, writes great reviews. She has even inspired me to read and stretch a bit in some of my own reading. So I thought I would share a few books I have recently read.

I follow a much younger, sort of hipster, tea drinker on Instagram and recently he mentioned a book he read. Plus a couple of my tea friends had also mentioned this book; so out of curiosity I decided to read the book. A Psalm for the Wild-Built by Becky Chambers.

There is definitely tea in it, but also a robot.

"Everybody knew what a tea monk did, so Dex wasn't too worried about getting started. Tea service wasn't anything arcane. People came to the wagon with their problems and left with a fresh-brewed cup."

"Everybody thinks they're the exception to the rule, and that's exactly where the trouble starts. One person can do a lot of damage." 

"Deciding on your purpose is one of the most valuable things there is."

There were so many little glimpses/words that were so profound in this little book. The conversations between the main character, Dex, and the robot, Mosscap. I really enjoyed it. I understand there is a second book, which I plan to read soon. I love that I can learn new things even at a "certain age".

State of Terror by Hillary Rodham Clinton and Louise Penny

Most often I read historic fiction, especially from the early part of the 1900's and taking place in Europe; so the State of Terror was stepping out of my favorite reading comfort. It was historic fiction for sure, but a more recent time period. This book indeed had intrigue and I was particularly impressed with what each author brought to the story. Louise Penny is an impressive mystery writer and Hillary Rodham Clinton added all the basic truths of being Secretary of State to the story. It felt so real, it was a little scary to think what could happen in government intrigue and real life.

After reading this book I will be planning to read more written by Louise Penny.

The Stolen Lady by Laura Morelli

Having stood in the Louvre Museum in Paris, France and view the Mona Lisa this story really brought home to me all that took place during World War II and the saving of art in France. As I have said before this is my favorite genre to read. Having traveled several times in France and being intrigued by YouTube shows on French chateaus, I could really picture the adventure and intrigue in this story. Since it was based on what really happened, I was thankful once again for the brave souls that risked their lives to save historic pieces of art.

 Allie and Bea by Catherine Ryan Hyde

I was sure I was not going to like this one, but after I got into it I loved how the author brought two lost souls together in this magical friendship of an older woman and a young girl. They certainly captured my heart. And in the end life went on in a different way for each of them.

Daughter of Moloka'i by Alan Brennert

My cousins wife and I often exchange books we have read and this book was in a recent pile of books she shared with me. Strange in my case because I mostly like to read female authors, in a way I feel like I am supporting them. So I told myself I probably would not have picked this book up to consider, but here it was in the pile. 

The book was in three parts. The first part was the story of a young girl in an orphanage in Hawaii that was adopted by a Japanese family before World War II. Then in the second part the story continues with the family at the time of the bombing of Pearl Harbor and the encampment of the Japanese people living in the US, and finally after the war it was a time of healing and recovering. There were a few moments of tears for me in this book. The descriptions of survival in camps here in the US saddened me and made it more real. Sometimes it is easy to forget and a book such as this, though fiction, is a lesson to learn in human survival. 


There have been other books read, but each of the books here have been surprises I hadn't planned on enjoying. All five were a bit out of my normal reading, but I am so glad I read everyone of them.

Happy reading, dear friends!

I hope maybe I have inspired you to pick up something that surprises you too.


2 comments:

Lorrie said...

I love getting recommendations from blogging friends. I put Morelli's book on hold in the library.
I have all of Louise Penny's mystery books and enjoy dipping in and out of them. The State of Terror is one I didn't enjoy quite as much as her others.

Jeanie said...

I loved State of Terror too. I thought it was especially gripping, although (as much as I love every story in Three Pines) I was a little disappointed when it came into play at the end of the book. It felt unnecessary and kind of messed with my head. There could have been more subtle ways to do it if she was going to do it at all. That said, a small quibble. The Morelli and the one of Molokai both sound especially good to me.Thanks for very thoughtful reviews (and the shout-out, too!)