Saturday, January 21, 2023

Related by Love

 

This is Myrtle. She was my grandfather's second wife and never had any children. I loved Myrtle. She was like a grandmother to me. My grandfather met her at an American Legion dance. He loved dancing. He fell in love with Myrtle and married her when I was going into the 4th grade.

Myrtle would have me come over for tea and a visit where she attempted to teach me how to knit. I have to say attempted because I just never quite got it. My knitting was always so tight I would need to rip it out and keep trying to relax and re-do. It just wasn't my thing; so I smile when I see my daughter knitting away.

When my mother fell and broke her knee Myrtle took my sister and I in for awhile so my mother had some time for recuperation. Myrtle didn't quite know how to get two young girls ready for school, but she did her best. We both had long hair; so though we had never worn braids, Myrtle would braid our hair and wrap it around our heads with ribbons. I am sure it was beautiful, but by the time I got to school I had taken the braids down and just told Myrtle they undid themselves. She would try harder the next day. Oh my, I guess I was a bit of a stinker; but Myrtle loved us. 

Here is Myrtle with a couple of her sisters and then again standing among the flowers.

I always said I was her favorite because I would go visit her and talk to her. The summer before I left for college my grandfather helped me get a job in the apple cannery for the summer and I stayed with Myrtle and my grandpa. When it was time to leave for college Myrtle opened a bank account in her name and mine and would put her dividends from an egg ranch into the account for me to use for college. Wondering what those dividends would be worth today? Hummm? They did help me pay for college for the two years I attended and then I got married.

When I was getting married she asked what I would like for a wedding present. I said I would love my grandfather's china. Her response was that if no one else voiced a desire for the china she would give it to me when she was finished using it. About 6 months before she passed she gave me the china, which I cherish still today. The picture just shows part of the china. It is Haviland and somehow my grandfather acquired it from the Burlington Railroad, as it was their china pattern of Daisies and Violets.


Reminiscing today, thinking of Myrtle. The fur coat inspired me to reminisce, as Myrtle offered to give me her mink coat and I declined it. Later I thought, now why did I decline a beautiful gift of that coat. I was sharing that story with my friend Emily, who sells the vintage clothes, and that was when she said she was giving me a fur coat in memory of Myrtle. So I am sharing this story with you. For one, accept graciously and always acknowledge the love of another even if not related by blood, but by love.

Have a blessed weekend, dear friends!

4 comments:

Thelma said...

Nice story and I love the beautiful china.

Mary said...

Myrtle sounded like a sweet woman - your grandfather picked a perfect 'grandmother' for you by sound of it.
Marilyn, I'm sure you could knit - it's really quite easy and very relaxing once you get the hang of it. When younger I knitted garments - sweaters or jumpers as we call them in Britain - but now just easy peasy scarves, cowls etc. as I can do them easily, with no pattern required, while watching TV in the evenings.........and feel like I'm not wasting time!!!

Enjoyed this story and yes, the china pattern is exquisite.

Lorrie said...

Myrtle sounds like a lovely, lovely woman. The china is beautiful, but best of all are the stories you share.

Jeanie said...

This is such a beautiful post, Marilyn -- and I love the thought of "related by love." I hope that's how Carson and Cam think of me. The story of your spending time together truly makes me smile and warms my heart and I love that china. Of course you will have it -- it's glorious. Thanks for a lovely start to my day.