Monday, January 9, 2023

Word Magic

 

 

The word for this week is GIFT.

Gift, for me, comes with a lot of different emotions, baggage. Most often I don't feel worthy and have a lot of trouble acknowledging the gift and showing appreciation. Now this might not be you, but I can guess there might be some things that a gift stirs in you. I always feel bad that I haven't shown my thrill of the gift when I receive it. It is also hard for my family because they never know if their gift has been received with appreciation.

Don't get me wrong, I absolutely love giving gifts. The gifts in the above picture were purchased and wrapped by me for different family members. It is the receiving that is hard for me.

Yesterday a friend gave me a gift I would have never imagined receiving. She sells vintage clothes (EBK Vintage) and recently acquired a pile of fur coats. When she started showing them on Instagram I told her my step-grandmother once offered to give me her mink coat, which I declined. My friend said come over and pick out a coat, I want to give you a fur coat. What???!!! It is the most cozy, warm coat I have ever put on my body. Yes, it was hard for me to receive, but it is in my closet now. I told my friend that no one had ever given me such a beautiful gift. She told me "you deserve all the beautiful gifts". I am still astounded. Will I wear it? On a very cold day when I go to the market you might find it on me.        This gift touched me. It sang to my heart. I deserve beautiful gifts!

 
Looking at this picture I see other gifts. The tea cup from a dear friend and the bird picture from my cousin.

A tiny gift of a simple handmade Christmas ornament, made with love, also touches me. Even a kind word is a gift that touches me.

There is so much wrapped up in a kind word or a ribbon.

How does receiving a gift make you feel. What emotions does it create?

6 comments:

Lorrie said...

It is often said that it is better to give than to receive, and that may be, but I think receiving is more difficult than giving. I don't know why, but I feel much like you do.
The mink coat is beautiful and you look beautiful wearing it. What an amazing gift.

Thelma said...

The coat looks very nice on you.

Rosemary said...

You look beautiful in your new fur coat, and it's quite obvious your cup overflows with joy.

Jeanie said...

It's not that I don't like receiving gifts. It's fun and I do love opening and wondering what is within. I appreciate the thoughtfulness. But I feel edgy about it. I have so much. I don't want or need anymore. The things I DO want or need are not the things people can give me. (A new well, thank you very much! Rewiring the cottage? yes please!). And I don't know what to do with so many of the gifts I receive. There's only so much cute I can handle, so much space on the shelves. Because they were gifts, I feel guilty passing them on or regifting them. And yet, I so appreciate the thoughtfulness behind it. There are only a very few people I know whose gifts "nail it" and are the perfect thing. It's because they know me well (and also know my "issues.") We have a bit of an unofficial rule -- If you can't read it, eat it, experience art with it, watch it or experience it, then find something else -- unless you KNOW. The small, the handmade, the gift from a child... those are forever.

Red Rose Alley said...

Marilyn, what a thoughtful gift the fur coat was from your friend. And you look so pretty and stylish wearing it. Black is always in fashion. I like your word for this week. I love giving gifts, and I love receiving them. And I have no problem shouting to the rooftops when I receive something special. Please know that you deserve all the happiness that comes your way, and I hope you receive many special gifts in this new year.

~Sheri

Linda P said...

I treasure the gifts that are given to us by kind family members and friends. In recent years we have received practical gifts, that is, hampers of eatables. Each gift is welcome as it has been chosen to give us pleasure and with much thought. I like to give flowers or a plant as a surprise gift. I enjoy giving and sharing. Your blog posts are a gift to your readers as you share your thoughts, words and happenings in your life.