Sunday, January 1, 2023

Word Magic

 Yes, words are magical. This will be my Monday blog post theme for 2023, Word Magic.

Happy New Year!

As I have been thinking about the magic of words, I have realized how magical they are. They create pictures and stories in our mind. They dance before us. We see them everywhere from books, signs, even on ornaments for our Christmas tree or wall in our house, on tee shirts, and even tattooed on bodies. We hear them spoken in many different languages. Many we don't understand; but if it is the languages you understand, they create images in our minds.

I remember as my own mother aged and no longer could connect or remember a word or it's meaning, it was frustrating for her and those around her. I can only imagine how frustrating it was for her. Disconnecting with words would be so sad.

As a young girl I realized the magic of words. I loved reading the dictionary and trying to learn new words to add to my vocabulary. Though most of the words I may share we will know already, what will be fascinating is to notice what that word creates in our minds eye.


 For this week, the word is PEACE.

What do you first think of when seeing or hear the word PEACE?

On Friday I joined a tea and meditation gathering on zoom with others from around the world. By the end of the two hours I felt quite at PEACE. Then this weekend I watched a David Letterman interview with President Zelensky, the president of Ukraine and the song came to me of Let There Be Peace on Earth and Let it Begin with Me. I pray for PEACE. It sets heavy on my heart often. So for this day, this time, this new year, I will continue praying for PEACE in me and PEACE in the world. 


 

3 comments:

Jeanie said...

I never even thought of peace till the Vietnam War. Oh, there was peace on earth in Christmas carols, but they were just words. Peace in the 70s -- that was so very real to me.

This is a lovely word. Happy New Year, Marilyn. May you enjoy peace.

Lorrie said...

Peace is sadly lacking in our world today, and I too, pray for peace between nations, and peace between individuals. Being a peacemaker is an active thing, and one that I hope I can fulfill in some small way. Happy New Year, Marilyn.

Linda P said...

I'm glad you are in contact with others who are peace loving and who are active in finding opportunities to promote peace and harmony in different ways. Peace does indeed start with my own heart attitude as I pray for peace.