Monday, December 11, 2023

Word Magic

 The word this week is ADVENT.

Definition:  the arrival of a person, place or event.  The first season of the Christian church year, leading up to Christmas and including the four preceding Sundays.   noun: Advent

 


The celebration of Advent takes place on the four Sundays prior to Christmas, follows four weekly themes; hope, peace, joy and love and ends on Christmas Eve.

Many churches in the Christian world celebrate Advent. As part of the Quaker community, since we don't have rituals, we don't do the formalized lighting of candles. We do, however, celebrate the words "hope, peace, joy and love". I thought about talking about each of those four words, but I can imagine each of those words would trigger your own stories. I will leave you to imagine a world with "hope, peace, joy and love".

For me, hope and peace sort of go together. I hope and pray every day for peace in the world. My heart is broken at the hurt. I pray daily for Ukraine and Palestine. Yes, I even pray for Israel and Russia. The minds of selfish, evil men must be cleansed and opened to love. I do say "men" because it most often seems to me to be men leaders that do evil. Now that is a generalized attitude on my part; but when I look I find so much greed/selfishness and evil in so many rich, white, old men. In my opinion I feel like they are panicked because even though at the moment they have power and money they can feel their grip on humanity waning. 

 

Now my word for this year is VOICE and I remind myself not to hide my light, but reveal my heart. Thus, at times this year, I have lit the candle so you see a glimmer of my heart.

Then joy and love in a way seem to go together too. When we feel and receive love, we feel much joy or happiness. What brings joy your way. I pray you are surrounded by joy and love each and everyday.

Are you anticipating the advent of the season, the arrival of someone special or a special event? Are you lighting the candles to welcome in the season of advent? 

My candles are lit with anticipation.

Have a most meaningful week, dear friends.

Sending love,

Marilyn

 

2 comments:

Jeanie said...

I love how you phrased this post and I agree. And you have your wonderful voice and that's beautiful!

Happy week!

Red Rose Alley said...

Oh Marilyn, your pictures are always just so heartwarming. And your words today are so special about not hiding your light, but letting it shine in your heart. ADVENT is a wonderful word for this week. Thank you for shining your light and love, dear Marilyn. The world does need to see and hear more of that.

~Sheri