Tuesday, October 18, 2016

Fly Awake Tea Garden

You will find Fly Awake Tea Garden off Mississippi and N. Beech
down an alley.  A most unusual tea shop, but great fun to sit at
the tea bar and sip away.
909 N. Beech St., Suite B
It originally started in Kevin's garage and backyard,
but moved here some months ago.
On the Facebook page they describe it as "chill surroundings".
That it is, plus a bit hipster too.
On nice days the garage door is open and you can just stroll in.
Of course you can walk through the door too.
The counter below will greet you with some cool tables
made by my friend, Jenn.
But the fun happens when you climb the stairs to the balcony
above and belly up to the tea bar.
What sort of tea would you like to taste?
What do you normally drink or do you want to explore?
This is the place to do just that.
Kevin will pour you a nice cup of tea.
And a chat too can be quite entertaining.
You might meet someone new sitting there
or just sit in solitude too.
A view from above of one of the tables Jenn has made.
Even the game is supplied.
Another view through the fan of the entrance from the alley.
Now not your normal tearoom, but definitely worth visiting.

When I visited last week I was checking out a couple herbals.
A Tulsi with Roses was on my list and I wasn't disappointed.
I am not a huge fan of the flavor of roses, but it didn't overwhelm.

Then I wanted to try a tea that Kevin recommended to drink when you
have the effects of drinking too much caffeine.
It was a wild grown Jiaogulan from Yunnan Provence, China.
It is a wild herb, a moss, believed to have many similar properties to Ginseng.
It is brewed much like a green tea.  The taste is very light and a bit sweet.
It is considered to have calming properties.
I came home with a little of it to save for the next time I have too much caffeine.

So if you find yourself in Portland, Oregon and you want a unique tea experience
Fly Awake Tea Garden is the place to go.


5 comments:

Jeanie said...

That sounds like a pretty cool idea. I don't think we have any tea bars or tea houses here. The garage -- who knew?!

Nora @ Teacup Tales said...

I'm jealous-so many great unique tea rooms in Portland. I will have to add this one to my list. Thanks for sharing about it.

Rosemary said...

Thank you for sharing such a beautiful place. This would be fun to visit!

Eric G. said...

What a neat place! WhenI went with you, I remember being shocked about it's layout and how intuitive it was! Jiaogulan? a moss? huh, I have a good friend from Yunnan, I will ask her she ever has tried this. When will St. Louis get a good asian style teashop?

Linda P said...

This must be a good place to relax and chill out. This style of tea room would be a new experience for me. You are fortunate to have one like this tucked away in an alley with an interesting host to chat to about tea.